You’re surrounded by opportunities to accelerate your success and to enjoy the rewards of running your solo or boutique, independent consulting firm.
Those opportunities are like flights that will lift you away from your current condition and land you in a different, better place.
You’ve learned to ignore the flight announcements over your mental loudspeakers. They sound like “Now boarding, I-Know-I-Should ” and “Announcing immediate departure of I-Wish-I .”
Today—right now, in fact—you’re going to buy a non-refundable, one-way ticket on one of those flights to greater satisfaction.
Your flight is going to last 12 weeks, and I guarantee you’ll land in a different, better location than where you’re currently residing.
Think of it as a 12-week challenge.
The steps to embark on your 12-week challenge are:
- Choose Your Destination – Select one of those “I know I should” or “I wish I would” statements floating around your brain. The only rule is it has to be within your control.
- Set Your Flight Times – You’re embarking on the opposite of a non-stop flight. Set a repeatable, predictable time to depart (again and again).
- Determine Your Flight Path – The exact behavior you engage in will determine where you land. What, specifically, are you going to do for the next 12 weeks?
- Announce Your Flight – Talk about your flight publicly. Let the world know your commitment.
- Hop on Board – Start this week.
- Celebrate at Touchdown – Act like there’s a military band greeting you every time you complete one leg of your 12-week journey. Reward yourself for each success.
You can ask your team or your consulting firm staff to take on a 12-week challenge too; however, start with yourself. Invite others after you’ve completed a successful flight.
Example 12-Week Challenges:
- Reach Out – Every Tuesday and Thursday at 12:00 p.m.—before eating lunch—complete 30 minutes of outreach to prospective consulting clients.
- Write Your Book – Every Monday morning, before looking at email or anything on your desk, write for 30 minutes.
- Congratulate – Every Wednesday at 8:00 a.m., review all the automatic personal notifications you received on LinkedIn (e.g., it’s Sally’s birthday), and send those people a congratulations message.
- Send Thank Yous – Every Friday at 4:00 p.m., send at least 5 Thank You cards to people whom you appreciate. (What an uplifting way to head into the weekend!)
- Let Go – Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30 p.m. completely walk away from your consulting firm. No talking about any business-related topic at home. Try to dismiss your work-related thoughts until the next day.
- Exercise – Every Monday and Friday at 7:00 a.m., ride the bike at the gym for 30 minutes.
- Eat Better – Every Saturday at midnight, start your 24-hour, sugar Sabbath. Eat nothing that contains refined sugar that entire day.
Personally, I’m amidst a 12-week challenge to conduct research every Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. for my next book.
Hop a flight to a more successful consulting firm. What 12-week challenge will you take on?
Text and images are © 2019 David A. Fields, all rights reserved.