There’s a behavior which, if you perform it daily, will transform your consulting firm, grow your business and improve your life. And it’s very, very simple:
One extra act of kindness. (Or, one act of extra kindness).
That’s it. Boom. You’re going to enjoy a more successful consulting business.
Well, you will if you perform an extra act of kindness every day. Not just for 30 days. Every day from here on out. Starting today.
Virtually any act of kindness qualifies as long as it is:
- Somehow related to your business.
- Not self-serving (i.e., sending someone an article you wrote or a copy of your book doesn’t count).
- Sincere vs. done grudgingly.
- Directed to someone other than yourself. Directing it outside your consulting firm will produce faster results.*
Examples of Tiny Acts of Kindness
- Say “Thank you” to someone you wouldn’t typically acknowledge.
- Offer sincere praise to someone for a job well done. (Don’t wait for a job spectacularly done.)
- Send a hand-written thank-you note to someone.
- Apologize to someone when something goes wrong, even when it’s not your fault.
- Compliment someone.
- Call back a vendor or salesperson who contacted your consulting firm, rather than ignoring their call.
- Respond to a consulting client’s difficult or annoying request with, “I’d be delighted to do that for you.”
- If you mention a book to a contact during a conversation, send them a copy.
- Send chocolate-covered almonds to a person chosen randomly from your contact list.
If you’re the type of person who’s generally kind and giving, that’s great. Be extra kind one time each day. For example, rather than commending someone, also praise them to their boss.
If you tend to forget, then prompt yourself with a cue. For example, place a coin on your desk each morning then remove it when you’ve completed your good deed.*
Easy peasy. Nothin’ to it, and your consulting practice will magically improve. Your mood will too, by the way.)
Okay, I’ll confess: a handful of evidence-based assumptions undergird this strategy. I believe:
- You’ll end up performing more than one extra act of kindness each day; sometimes many more.
- You’ll become massively kind.
- Your kindness will radiate outwards. Any staff and colleagues at your consulting firm will gradually emulate the behavior you’re modeling.
- You and your consulting firm will become known as nice, giving, people. The type of consulting firm other people really want to work with.
- You’ll gain a reputation as a consulting firm that’s great to work with.
- You’ll attract more relationships, build a thriving network of personal fans, and convert more of those relationships into clients.
And it all starts with one tiny act. Every day.
You can even plan it.
What extra act of kindness will you do today?
Text and images are © 2022 David A. Fields, all rights reserved.