Maybe you’re introducing a new offering, pursuing a different segment of clients, launching a marketing tactic, or taking your first steps into independent consulting. Whatever marketing venture you’re undertaking, read on to enjoy faster, more powerful results.
Lightning strikes in a blinding flash of energy. Current jolting from angry clouds to an unlucky point below with such force that it can incinerate its target. The jagged, iconic path lightning carves through the skies is the result of a remarkable, natural process called “stepped leaders.”
The extraordinary, 20-second video below eloquently reveals the magic of lightning tracing its torturous channel from clouds to ground.
Amazing, isn’t it?
How about injecting a blazing bolt of power into your business? The following seven, lightning-inspired marketing concepts will flare more energy into your most important, business-building efforts:
- Micro-Test Your Way to Success – Lightning bolts scatter stepped leaders in many directions, briefly testing the viability of moving forward in different, sometimes surprising ways. Each leader risks small jumps into the unknown, and is left behind if it doesn’t prove useful. Follow that same pattern in your marketing: conduct a multitude of experiments; be bold in their variety and expedient in shutting them down.
- Willingly Abandon Most Trials – Stepped leaders with enormous potential dissipate into nothing if they don’t move enough electricity. The corollary to micro-testing is being willing to quickly drop ideas and approaches—even the ones you like—if other paths move you forward faster and more powerfully.
- Find A Path to Success, Not THE Path – Nature doesn’t seek the very best, bar none, route from the sky to the ground before unleashing its electrical fury. Whatever the closest available route is that works is flooded with juice. Don’t hold out for the perfect approach or award-winning execution. Find a way that works and go with it.
- After Choosing a Direction, Give it Everything – Did you see what happened once the stepped leader found a connection to the ground? Kablam! While the micro trials were tentative investments of energy, as soon as a circuit to the ground was in place, a zillion volts** flooded through the circuit. Bring that level of Focus and Commitment to your chosen tactics too.
- Keep Moving Forward – Lightning doesn’t give up. It backtracks, tries different routes and occasionally goes in more than one direction, but it keeps searching (quickly) until it finds a path that works. Persistence is the framework that supports your supercharged efforts.
- The World Will Help You Succeed – What you couldn’t see in that 20-second video is that at the last instant, streamers reached up from points on the ground to connect with the surge from the sky. An amazing thing happens when you pour your energy wholeheartedly into an endeavor: the world seems to meet you part way.
Did this post spark any ideas? Below, share the lightning-like practices will you adopt to create an explosive jolt of energy in your business.
Text and images are © 2019 David A. Fields, all rights reserved.